Saturday, July 2, 2011

Individuality











In our lives are we really individuals or are we attached to other people who are around us?

individuality
I actually think that I’m an individual person. I think of that because I can manage myself by myself. I don’t need to be overhauled by anyone including my parents. My father actually has helped me to become a real individual. His actions have rasped my personality and built my character. He helped me to become the person that I’m at the moment.

I have been in New York for a week and a half and I’ve seen various people on the streets that are individuals. They have their self-confidence so they don’t care about the people around them and what the people around them think about them.  They are mostly all by themselves without feeling to be attached to any other person. These people on the streets were mainly adults; I haven’t seen any teenagers by themselves.

self-confidence
I think that being individual is a yield of age. As people grow up and become more mature, they earn their self- confidence and they start to think and act as individuals. I reached the maturity for individuality when I was at the age of 12. I was sent to a summer school for 4 weeks in the UK, which built my self-confidence. I had the experience of being all by myself at a really early age. Most of my friends have been going to summer schools since 2 years so because of that they have matured to be individuals at a later than I did. In a different way I feel way comfortable when I’m all by myself. It’s mainly because I see that I can manage my stuff and life also I can take care of myself. I have learned to take responsibility.

Being a "World Citizen"
I’m in the summer program abroad again for the 5th. Because there are lots of people around different lieu of the world I have been seeing a lot of different kinds of teenagers just like me. There are about 1600 teenagers and I know about only 100 of them. Because it is a school in the city, people go directly to downtown after their courses. As I walk in the campus I take a glimpse at the people who passes me and goes to their classes and I actually think none of them are "individual"s. In terms of individual I’m not meaning being anti-social. There is a thin line in between these two terms, at least from my point of view.



People who are in this summer program are like colonies. People go and hang around with the people who are from their culture or their country. They feel as foreigners if they try to get attached to a person who is from another country. I actually hang out with the people from Florida, California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Spain, and Guatemala etc. I don’t feel like a foreigner when I’m with them. My father has always told me to be individual and he wanted me to be a “World Citizen”. In terms of that, he wanted me to be able to live and work in any rubric of the World. So I listened to his advice and I tried to hang out with the people who are not from my district. It actually worked well and now I can communicate with all of them. I learned a bit of their culture, their approach to life and also I learned new facts about places in the world that I have not been to. So I guess being with other people rather then your friends and making the “other people” your friends is being individual.

What I see in the campus is colonies of people who are from the same country or from the same social network. People do not have the courage of being alone or by themselves, nobody can eat alone at the cafeteria or nobody can go for a walk by him or her self. Nobody can attend excursions without being attached to some another person.

I as a teenager think that it’s something not very desirable to still not being an individual. At the moment I’m 17 years old and in a short time I will be leaving my friends and my family behind to study in some part of the US. I’m aware of that I must take my responsibilities by myself to be an individual and I must not be attached to another person so intensely. Because nothing or nobody is permanent in this short time period named as “life”. I know a person who is attached so strongly to her mother and I actually think that’s the most wrong thing to do. Actually the girl is trying to be individual and wants to become individual but her mother is a control freak and so wants her to be in control of herself. This girl is a teenager who is 17 and still has never been to some place all by herself. Her mother treats her, as she is a baby. She doesn’t let the girl become an individual. I have no right to comment on people’s way of raising children but from my point of view and by how I was raised it is something really wrong. I think everybody should have the opportunity of being alone and everybody at least should experience what is to be alone and individual at an early age.


I would love to read your comments on my "Individuality" blog.
As I'm a non native speaker of English, please also feel free to comment on my grammar-spelling-vocabulary :) 

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever been emotionally attached to anyone?..You seem to know what you're talking about in this blog, and i respect that, but don't you sometimes miss the feeling of being with someone and knowing that they will be there to catch you when u fall?...and im sorry if im misreading what you wrote, but do you have one of those people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have been emotionally attached to someone... I still actually am attached to somebody emotionally, but what while I was writing this piece of writing I wanted it to work also for people rather than only me so I can say that this is something general. I still have someone to catch me if I fall... Thanks for the compliments you haven't misread it. You exactly got the point of it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha..no problem, it's just that I was curious, and i hope you hold on to that person, i know myself by experience that they are hard to find, especially the loyal people, and being a girl, is even harder to find honest people..and please excuse me..im rambling on about myself....so yeah..i hope you keep posting..i'll be reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your concern:) Sorry for the late response I was a bit busy last week. I had a lot of assignments to do but now I'm done with them. Don't worry everybody find their "special" person someday. You can ramble on about your I really appreciate your concern:) I will keep posting, hope you keep reading it also :)

    ps: I will release my 4th topic by the end of today or tomorrow

    ReplyDelete